Sunday, September 13, 2009

SHARK ATTACK!

Okay-so the Lambert clan decided to head to Florida on a whim to unwind after the big wedding. Now, we new we were in the midst of hurricane season, but we took the gamble and it ended up being our best trip there yet.

We rented a huge 3 bedroom, 3.5 bath house directly on the beach and it was my first time there with the beach being perfectly deserted with sunny, hot days and the calmest ocean I have ever seen. It was my first time ever seeing schools of dolphin swimming by people on rafts, schools of stingrays right at the shore, and hundreds of sand dollars at our feet.
Our house came with a beautiful kitchen decked out with granite and stainless, so I gladly took over making most of our meals. My highlight of the week came after shark fishing. The top picture is a lemon shark that someone on our boat caught. Out of the twenty folks aboard we were lucky enough to be the only ones interested in taking home an ocean treat.


My hubby ended up catching a six foot hammerhead shark--but it was tossed back because supposedly they aren't good eatin' fish. He did though produce the most excitement aboard the S.S. Minnow. Eric was bruised up and down his side from pulling this sucker in:) He was my big great white shark hunter! The second photo above shows me and my not so fabulous catch--only a baby lemon shark. He was tossed back in because honestly, who can feel good about themselves for eating a baby shark. The third is my father-in-law and his catch--a mackerel. Another tossed back to the ocean, for as our guide informed us they are the gutter of the ocean and wouldn't even be kept for chum.
So, the lemon shark was gutted on the boat and rid of both ends and chopped into twelve or so steaks. As, I opened up the white paper holding our ocean treasure the next day I had to think a while at what might be the best plan of attack. It isn't like the shark I normally pick up at the grocery. The skin is a bit furry and there are pieces of body parts that I am sure would not be pleasing to eat. The smell, very--um excuse my lack of creativity--fishy. I had to breath out of my mouth only.
So, I ended up taking my 50 cent steak knife and went at it. I decided to make kabobs and only use the firm white meat and get rid of the remains before the other family members would see and make them change their mind about eating shark.
After an hour of carving with the CRAPPIEST knife ever, I soaked my pieces in a bit of buttermilk for about an hour. Then I rinsed and marinated in a terriayki marinade. Let me just say--they turned out fabulous. Everyone loved them:))))) Thank goodness.
So, if our guide ever reads this---HA! I told you we wouldn't be like those other folks that show up for shark fishing and say they will eat the meat and don't. It was sharkalicous, baby!





1 comment:

gel firepot said...

Enjoy the ambiance of dancing flames. Use with Regular or Citronella Fuel Gel (Sold Separately). Citronella Fuel Gel is only for outdoor use. Includes stainless steel Fuel Gel reservoir. Includes metal snuffer or lid for safe extinguishing of flame. For indoor or outdoor use.