Monday, August 17, 2009

You Say Tomato....I Say How Many Ya Want

Did you know as I child I hated tomatoes. I don't ever think I even had tasted one when I made my mind up about this-but my Grandpa Snuffy didn't like them, so neither did I. Ketchup, yes. Big, ripe, juicy tomato--no.

I also hated bleu cheese, olives, Dijon mustard, sour cream and pork chops. But my how my tastes have changed. Stuff the bleu cheese in the olive--Magic, I tell you. Coat the Dijon on the pork chops, slather sour cream on my nachos--oh yes! Why didn't I learn to love rice cakes and sea weed? Life is so cruel.

These tomatoes are fresh from my back yard. The plant is brimming over with ripe tomatoes so this whole week will be filled with tomato dishes (sorry, honey). My tomato plant came from Stump's in Logan (a roadside stand where once something is sold out they are gone---so you have to go the first week they open or you miss out!). It is the Rutger's variety and they are so sweet. I almost had to fist fight an old lady over this plant, but she backed off.

I ended up making last night this delicious salad of spinach, tomatoes, onion, cucumber, black olives and basil. I made a simple oil and balsamic seasoned dressing. Right before serving I added some sun-dried tomato feta cheese.....delicious!

Then I cut up a head of cabbage into wedges and grilled them the healthy way--with several heavy squirts of butter spray, some splenda, salt and pepper. I know it doesn't look pretty or impressive, but it is so good. P.S. I forgot I also hated cabbage as a child. I think I only thought you could make sauerkraut out of it--and that is something I still can't stomach.

I finished up our meal with some simple chicken kabobs. I marinated everything in a oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, fresh rosemary and oregano blend. It was the perfect meal for a hot summer day! Ta-Ta for now:)

No comments: