Sunday, February 24, 2008

Frito Crack


I love snack mixes. Savory ones, sweet ones, salty ones---the combinations are endless. It is so fun to see what you can throw together and come up with. This little ditty I made is an adaptation from the Cookie Madness website. Glenn loves Fritos. I, on the other hand---could really care less about them. But put them in the ring with some salty pretzels and peanut butter cups---well then, count me in.

I actually took this last night to our friend's surprise 40th birthday party, and surprise---they were gone in a flash. The original recipe posted on the website calls for spreading a bag of chocolate chips on top, but I found myself trying to pick out the pieces that didn't have any chocolate on them last night---so I adapted this to my tastes. If you desire, instead of sprinkling the white chocolate on the end, as I do here, you may instead spread an entire bag of chocolate chips on top then spread evenly over after they melt. Don't get me wrong, the semi-sweet chocolate version is really good, and I recommend that you try it both ways! Next time though, I will make it as I did below but add in Reeses Pieces.......oh my god. I will become a cow!

FRITO CRACK

1 Cup Waffle Pretzels
1 Cup Rye and Pumpernickel Pretzels
1 1/2 Cup Fritos
1/2 to 1 Cup Peanuts
8-9 mini reese's peanut butter cups, chopped up
1 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 Cup White Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Break up the pretzels and fritos to they are broken into smaller pieces. Line a 13x9 pan with foil, so that it overhangs on the ends. Spread the pretzels, fritos, peanut butter cups and peanuts on the the foil. In a microwave-safe bowl melt the butter for a little over a minute. Once fully melted, stir in brown sugar. Microwave one minutes. Stir and put back in microwave for another 30-40 seconds until nice a bubbly:) Now go ahead and pour it all over the pretzel mix. Mix it all up so it is nice and coated. Bake for 9 minutes.

Pull it out of the oven and sprinkle the white chocolate all over it. Stick it back in the oven and bake another minute or two. Then mix the chocolate into the mix to coat a bit. Let cool. Store in an air-tight container.

Yummy, Yummy!

No comments: