Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ghetto-Rigged Black Bean & Chicken Chili


February is now the coldest month in Ohio! There always used to be a snow storm on my birthday in early January--but not any more baby! I'm pretty sure the kids have had a few snow days this week and to warm you up nothing is better than soup:) I usually make a big batch thinking that it will last us an entire week, but some how it always disappears in two days. I guess I'm doing something right, or we wouldn't gobble it up!


My first batch this weekend was supposed to be a White Chicken Chili from Bon Appetit or Gourmet--or some fancy magazine like that--and I SWEAR I had all the appropriate ingredients in my pantry. As I started my assembly though, I didn't have half the stuff I needed! SO--this is my ghetto-rigged version of the original--and it definitely wasn't white!


GHETTO-RIGGED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN CHILI


1 Tablespoon Olive Oil

1 large Onion

1 green bell pepper

1 red bell pepper

4 Teaspoons garlic

1 Tablespoon Cumin

1 Teaspoon Oregano

2 Teaspoons Fennel Seeds

1 Teaspoon Crushed red pepper

1 Pound Boneless Chicken Breast

1 Can Great Northern Beans, with 1/2 Cup liquid reserved

1 Can Black Beans, drained
1 Can Chicken Broth

7 ounces canned Green Chilis

1/2 Cup whipping cream

1 Can Progresso Light Southwestern Style Soup (no meat)

1-2 Tablespoons Cilantro

Sour Cream and Shredded Cheddar for serving

Heat oil in Dutch Oven over medium Heat. Add onion, bell peppers, garlic, cumin, oregano, fennel and red pepper. Saute 5 minutes. Remove vegetable mixture and set aside. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to pan. Saute chicken 5 minutes. Drain beans, but reserve 1/2 cup liquid from Great Northern can. Add the beans, broth, chilies,cilantro, cream, bean liquid and can of soup to the chicken. Stir the veggies back in. Simmer until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with sour cream and cheese.
A beautiful white color? No--more grayish brown--but it did turn out darn good. I only decided to add the can of Progresso at the end because I really wanted corn in this soup, but of course couldn't find an ear, can, or frozen bag of it here. Next time, I might not add the Progresso but instead add a can of corn and extra chicken broth. I think the results would be similar. Enjoy!

No comments: