Thursday, February 28, 2008

Dinner for Two and the Loss of One




This morning my husband asked me “what do you want to do tonight?” Which in his language means “which of my buddies will we be meeting out tonight?”. My answer: “You are hanging out with me this evening and I am cooking us a lovely dinner.” No going to Cricket’s, no meeting Doug at Kingy’s, no beer at BW3s. I know, what a meanie, making someone stay home for a made from scratch meal!!! How could any man bear to hang out with a wife like that?

Cooking, which allows me to relax and unwind, will be done in solitude this evening. My mother called today in tears to let me know my Great Aunt Lou had passed away today. She went in this morning for bypass surgery and her heart was too weak to withstand the trauma. She was the only sibling left of my grandmother’s and I am not sure how she is going to cope. They talked to each other on the phone at least ten times a day for the past forty some years and live less than half a mile from each other. Lou was the oldest sister and you would have never known. Lively and vital—nothing seemed to hold her back.

She was my original source of knowledge that Preparation H can be put on the face to reduce wrinkles—and she’s the true testament that it works. I’m not sure if the cooking genes made it in her though—‘cause she once made an apple pie, and accidentally pulled peeled potatoes from the freezer, and wa la---a potato pie. My grandpa took one bite of it, and grandma said he made a face like you have never seen before! Just this summer, she failed her driver’s test because she refused to wear her glasses because they made her look old. She finally gave in, because not driving is almost as bad as looking old! I said, almost. God love her, and take care of her.

So this evening, I will reflect on her life and all the good times I remember having at her house as a child. I always ended up dragging home the ugliest cats from her litters. She would chuckle at my choices. Fortunately, they always ended up being the most memorable. Hopewell Church Road is going to be missing a fine lady.

So here’s my lovely meal:
BAKED SHRIMP WITH FETA AND FETTUCINE

1 teaspoon olive oil
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 garlic cloves, minced
Cooking spray
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 cups diced plum tomato (about 3/4 pound)
3/4 cup (3 ounces) finely crumbled feta cheese
4 cups hot cooked linguine (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oregano and the next 4 ingredients (oregano through garlic); sauté for 3 minutes. Spoon the shrimp mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Add wine to skillet; cook over low heat until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 3 minutes). Stir in tomato, and pour over the shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with cheese, and bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Serve mixture over pasta, and sprinkle with parsley.

I ended up serving this with a salad simply dressed and crusty roasted garlic bread. It was perfect with a glass of Pinot Grigio. Salute, Aunt Lou.

No comments: