Sunday, March 2, 2008

SUNDAY OLE!

Carnita's Eric's Way..........
................Carnita's My Way

Sunday is really the one day I get all to myself. Eric is usually goofing out in the garage or scooting about town. Now no, I don't whoop it up all day--just catching up on laundry, housework, and some time in the kitchen of course.


I caught him before he left today and asked what he would want for dinner this evening. He gave me his usual answer "I don't know, whatever you want." Ahh, just once I would like a specific answer so I don't always have to choose!


I bought a package of angus round roast yesterday, so I finally decided on Beef Carnitas from Cooking Light. It is the perfect recipe for tougher cuts of meats. Since it simmers on low heat for a long period in time, the end result is tender beef that shreds beautifully. I ended up eating mine as more of a deconstructed salad with a crushed taco shell. Eric used soft tortillas for a more classic version.


All in all, this is an excellent recipe that I will definitely make again. It was so easy, just throw it on the stove or crock pot and forget about it for two hours. My kind of lazy Sunday recipe.


BEEF CARNITAS
Cooking spray
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves
2 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup less-sodium beef broth
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 large unpeeled orange wedge
1 Tablespoon packaged taco seasoning
Shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, black olives, red onion, green onion, shredded cheese, salsa, and sour cream for serving. Mix it up and add whatever you want. Eric even threw some jalapenos on his!
Tortillas or taco shells for serving

Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add beef; sauté 5 minutes or until beef is browned on all sides. Stir in broth, sugar, salt, and pepper; nestle orange section into beef mixture. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Remove and discard orange. Stir in taco seasoning. Continue simmering, uncovered, 8 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring frequently.

No comments: