Thursday, March 27, 2008

HELLO MY LITTLE TURNOVER


Ever since I got my Dorie Greenspan "Baking: From My Home to Yours" cookbook, all I want to do is make all the recipes in it. There are like at least one hundred that I want to try. I really tried hard to convince myself not to make any recipes other than the one that is picked for every Tuesday. I did really try, I swear.


But.....it didn't work out. I kept staring at all these apples stacked in the bowl in my kitchen. And they kept staring back at me. Saying "use me before I wither up and rot".......so I had no choice I had to make something with apples. Now, I should have looked in other places--but that big shiny new book was sitting there staring at me too.


So, I just peeked in the apple section and found several versions of apple pies on the first few pages. Good, I thought, apple pie is just too boring. But as I turned to the next page, there it was staring right back at me......Flaky Apple Turnovers. Oh yes, that was it.


It turned out to be a good call. I loved them. I ended up topping them with large sugar crystals and baking them until golden. Eric and I both agreed they are best when warmed with a side of ice cream--so yummy!

1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 sticks butter, cold, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 Fuji apples, peeled, cored and cut into small chunks
3 tablespoons butter cut into small bits
1 large egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water, for egg wash
Sugar, for dusting
To make Dough: Stir the sour cream and sugar together, set aside. Whisk the flour and salt together in a large bowl, then toss the butter bits over the flour. Working with a pastry blender, or your fingers, cut the butter into the ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Don't worry about being thorough--it's better to have an uneven mix than an overworked dough. Switch to a fork and, using a lifting and tossing motion, gently stir in the sour cream. The dough will be very soft.
Divide the dough in half. Put each half on a piece of plastic warp and use the plastic to shape each piece into a rectangle. Wrap the dough and chill for at least an hour. Remove one piece of cough from the fridge and roll it into a rectangle about 9x18 inches. The dough is easiest to work with if you roll it between two sheets of wax paper. Fold the dough in thirds, like a business letter, wrap it and chill it. Repeat with second piece of dough, and chill the dough at least 2 hours.
To Make The Filling: Whisk the flour, sugar, and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Add the apples and toss to coat.
Getting Ready To Bake: Position the racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats. Roll out one piece of dough to a thickness of about 1/8th of an inch, and cut out 4 1/2 inch rounds with a large cutter (I used a jar lid) Repeat with the second piece of dough. If you like, you can gather the scraps together, chill them and make additional turnovers (I did this). You should get 7-8 rounds per piece of dough.
Place 1 to 2 tablespoons apples in the center of each round and dot with the butter. Moisten edges of each round with a little water and fold the turnovers in half, sealing the edges by pressing them together with the tines of a fork. Use the fork to poke steam holes in each turnover, and transfer the turnovers to the baking sheets.
Brush the tops of hte turnovers with a little of the egg wash and sprinkle each one with a pinch of sugar (I used large sugar crystals). Bake for about 20 minutes, rotating the baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back after 10 minutes. When done, the turnovers will be puffed, firm to the touch and golden. Gently transfer them to racks and cool to room temperature.
Dorie says these are very easy to change up---fill with whatever fruit or jam you may have a hankering for! I think I am going with my mom's idea next time--Cherry Turnovers:)

No comments: