Tuesday, March 11, 2008

POTATO DREAMIN'


Okay, just a quick blog before I head off to bed. By the time I got off work, went to the grocery, stopped to fake and bake (I know so bad, but it feels so good!), and worked out it left little time to make a great creation. So, I settled for some potato soup. I always make the same kind and it is a variation of the California Dreamin' version I pulled from the CLBB. My version is healthier:)

CALIFORNIA DREAMIN' POTATO SOUP (THE SKINNIER VERSION)

8 slices turkey bacon
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1/3 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
2 large potatoes, cubed
1 tablespoon fresh basil
1/2 tablespoon salt (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup fat free half and half
1 cup fat free sour cream
fresh parsley, chopped
green onion and cheese to garnish

Crisp bacon in dutch oven. Remove and set aside, keep drippings in pan. Add onion and celery, saute until tender about five minutes. Add flour and mix well. Stir in broth and water until flour is completely dissolved. Continue to stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add potatoes. Let soup simmer until potatoes are tender about thirty minutes. Add half and half, sour cream, basil, salt, pepper, and some parsley. Crumble bacon and stir in. Simmer ten more minutes before serving. Garnish with green onion and cheddar cheese.

It's creamy, rich and delicous. I swear just as good as the original version, even minus the heavy whipping cream! Pretty sure that's not any diet plan.

1 comment:

Annemarie said...

Welcome to TWD! This soup looks FABULOUS!! I can't wait to try it!