Friday, March 7, 2008

SHOVELING FOR SMORES

S'more Cookie Bars

Before the Shovel Party

I promised myself that I would never use this blog as a place for my bitchin'. But just this once, I will ask "what in the world is wrong with my husband?" Why does he think our kitchen sink is the trash can? Soda cans, paper napkins, food containers all sitting on the left side of my sink. (I know it's "our" sink, but come on, I do all the dishes, so it is MINE!).

Is he broken? Is there some sort of button I forgot to push to reset? Does the garbage disposal confuse him? I'm at a loss. Maybe there is some kind of way to re-train him? I remember my dance teacher (who was a mean old cow) once told us girls that she trained her cat to use the toilet by placing the litter box on the toilet seat. Then gradually she removed the box, and put down saran wrap with litter, and eventually removed everything and the cat would do it's business right in the bowl. God, can you imagine saran wrapping the toilet bowl everyday? For pete's sake.............

So maybe if I paint the garbage can silver and put a fake faucet on it, I can trick him into throwing his garbage in the right place....or lining the sink with a hefty bag, perhaps. I bet the darn thing would be empty all the time.

Alright--enough, enough. I am stranded here in the midst of the white death with my honey, and I won't pick on him anymore. We are watching movies and playing monopoly. Exciting, huh? It's actually fun to be kind of "snowed in". The fire is roaring and it just the two of us. To warm us up after a day of shoveling snow I decided to make chili and some S'more Cookie Bars. I've pictured the bars above. They turned out delicious. A soft graham crust and crunchy graham top........with ooey, gooey S'more in the middle! They are from the Hersey's website.

S'More Cookie Bars
1 stick butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 cup flour
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6.2 Ounces milk chocolate bars (I actually used dark chocolate and milk chocolate mixed)
1 cup marshmallow creme

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an eight inch square pan. Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, graham crackers, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture, beating until well blended. Press half of dough into prepared pan.

Arrange chocolate bars over dough, breaking as needed to completely cover dough. Spread with marshmallow creme. Scatter bits of remaining dough over marshmallow, carefully press to form a layer.

Bake 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely in pan before cutting.
Enjoy!




No comments: