Tuesday, March 11, 2008

TWO NEW CULINARY ADVENTURES

This is a very exciting week thus far! Not only did I get a new kitchen toy, I also have signed up for two new culinary excursions. First I joined Tuesdays with Dorie, where a group of seventy plus bakers get to pick a recipe each week from Dorie Greenspan's book "Baking: From My Home to Yours". Then each Tuesday we post our pics and thoughts on the chosen recipe.

So, by next Tuesday I have to make Brioche Raisin Snails chosen by Peabody of Culinary Concoctions. Not my first choice (they sure do look like a pain in the ass to make), but I signed up knowing the rules, so no complaining! Since I am one of the last to enroll, I don't get to choose a recipe until oh, I don't know......2009 or 2010. Ah, the anticipation! Dorie's recipes are always kick butt, so I am sure these will turn out great.

My second outing is much more exciting though! Eric's boss invited us to a private cooking class lead by Chef Hartmut Handke. He is one of seventy-five Certified Master Chef's in America, has won a boatload of awards and owns one of the top-rated restaurants in Columbus-Handke's Cuisine.

Eric and I have only dined there once. I adored it. He left wanting to go to McDonalds. I think his words were "this tiny food is too artsy fartsy for me". I am pretty sure he didn't know whether to eat it or look at it. So, I am not sure how the cooking class will go. Hopefully, he will just behave and drink the complimentary wine. The theme is American Cuisine, so at least he will probably try the food. I'll make him be my photographer, so I can keep him occupied! Brent, if you are reading this, thanks for the invite!

7 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Welcome to the group. I am looking forward to seeing your first creation!

CB said...

Welcome to TWD! I admit I am scurred of the snails too but what doesn't kill me makes me a better baker right? haha. "See" you next week!
-Clara
http://iheartfood4thought.wordpress.com

The Baker's Lamb said...

Thanks for the warm welcome! The snails will be interesting....the smoke detector goes off when I make toast sometimes..lol...who knows what the flaming rum will do!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Welcome to TWD, look forward to seeing how you conquer the snails!

Anonymous said...

One of us... One of us... ahem, sorry about that. Welcome to TWD, come burn things and deflate dough with us!

Jaime said...

welcome to TWD :)

Sweet and Savory Eats said...

Welcome to TWD. Looking forward to seeing what you cook up.